IMAP Vs ISAPI
in Outlook 2021 there are 2 ways to receive mails from Google Workspace, IMAP and ISAPI, which is the best solution?
The best solution for receiving emails from Google Workspace in Outlook 2021 depends on your specific needs.
- IMAP is a standard protocol that is supported by many email clients, including Outlook. It is a good choice if you want to be able to access your emails from multiple devices, or if you want to use features like offline reading and searching.
- ISAPI is a Microsoft-specific protocol that is only supported by Outlook. It is a good choice if you want to take advantage of Outlook’s advanced features, such as the ability to integrate with your calendar and contacts.
In general, IMAP is a good choice for most users. It is more versatile than ISAPI, and it is supported by a wider range of email clients. However, if you are a power user who relies on Outlook’s advanced features, then ISAPI may be a better choice for you.
Here is a table that summarizes the pros and cons of each protocol:
|IMAP||* Supported by many email clients * Can access emails from multiple devices * Can use offline reading and searching||* Not as feature-rich as ISAPI * May not be as reliable as ISAPI|
|ISAPI||* More feature-rich than IMAP * More reliable than IMAP * Only supported by Outlook||* Not supported by other email clients * May be more difficult to set up|
There are two ways to sync your Google Workspace email account with Outlook 2021: IMAP and Google Workspace Sync for Microsoft Outlook (GWSMO)1. I couldn’t find any information about ISAPI, so I assume you meant GWSMO.
IMAP is a protocol that allows you to access your email messages and attachments on the mail server from any device, without downloading them to your computer. IMAP is recommended if you want to keep your messages on the server and access them from multiple devices1.
GWSMO is a tool that lets you synchronize your Google Workspace account with Outlook, including your mail, contacts, calendars, and notes. GWSMO is recommended if you want to use Outlook as your primary email client and access the synchronized information in Outlook on any device where you use your Google Account2.
To use GWSMO, you need to install GWSMO on your computer, sign in to your Google Account, and import your data from an existing Outlook profile or a PST file. You also need to set your default profile in Outlook to Google Workspace2.
Both methods have some advantages and disadvantages, depending on your preferences and needs. For example, IMAP might not support some Outlook features or might format some data differently in Gmail, while GWSMO might not work with some Outlook add-ins or might require more disk space on your computer2. You can compare the features and limitations of both methods here: https://support.google.com/a/users/answer/178221?hl=en
which of these 2 options will you recommend?
I would recommend using IMAP to receive emails from Google Workspace in Outlook 2021. It is a more versatile protocol that is supported by a wider range of email clients. It is also easier to set up than ISAPI.
Here are some of the reasons why I recommend IMAP:
- It is more versatile. IMAP is a standard protocol that is supported by many email clients, including Outlook. This means that you can access your emails from multiple devices, such as your computer, phone, and tablet.
- It is easier to set up. IMAP is a simpler protocol than ISAPI, so it is easier to set up. You can usually follow the instructions provided by your email provider to set up IMAP in Outlook 2021.
- It is more reliable. IMAP is a reliable protocol that is unlikely to cause any problems. If you are having problems with your email, it is usually a good idea to try using IMAP instead of ISAPI.
If you are a power user who relies on Outlook’s advanced features, then you may want to consider using ISAPI.
However, for most users, IMAP is the better choice.